Sunday, March 9, 2014

Ironman New Zealand 2014: Pre-Race

OK, now the excitement of the previous post is out of the way, onto the main business.  Ironman New Zealand ticked off for 2014.

It had been a good build up but, like all ironman events prior, there were new challenges to deal with before making it to the start line.  For the first time I was dealing with a minor knee injury and, also for the first time, St Pete wouldn't be on the sidelines or taking on chief support duties while in Taupo. 

Nevertheless things had gone pretty well.

I had a great flight with Emirates from Sydney to Auckland - love their A380 to bits!  We get off the plane and, for the first time ever, I get to the baggage claim area and find a whole stack of bike cases already lined up by the carousel ready for collection.  Usually the bikes seem to be the last out but this was a welcome change, and impressive sight - big ups to the ground crew in Auckland!

Lake Taupo, looking towards the swim course - stunning as always
As soon as I got through immigration and outside the terminal I phoned Jucy for my pick up to go to their depot and get the rental car.  That also went really well with the Jucy guy not only unloading the bike case etc from the van but then also loading it all into the car for me.  (Oh, and if anyone is interested, yes, a bike case does fit in the back of a Hyundai i30 hatch, with the back seats down, as does the fully assembled bike afterwards!)

Within an hour of touchdown at Auckland Irongirl was on the motorway heading south.  Sweet :)

Getting into Taupo that evening was like arriving home.  We have been coming to Boulevard Waters for Ironman each year since 2011 and love the spot.  Close to the run and bike courses, far enough out of town to be quiet and yet also within walking distance for St Pete to easily get around.  Plus, a natural thermal pool onsite is the best thing for chilling out in pre and post race.
The hot pool … the best!

Wednesday was pretty relaxing, although the potential for disaster happened early, down at the lake.  First up was a brief swim and all I had to do was 30 minutes.  However as I started swimming out towards the first buoy down the course the current towards the outlet had me thinking I wasn't moving.  The old brain tricks of "not getting anywhere" tried to throw me but I hung in there and talked my way to the third buoy before swimming across to the other side of the course and heading back.  30 minutes done and, apparently, 1.5km swum so I ended up being happy.  However I decided there was nothing to be gained by putting myself through that mental game again and ended up not doing the planned Thursday and Friday swims.

Sounded like a fine strategy to me!

My main task for the day was putting the bike together (all good first time - yippee!) and checking out the ironman expo. Then a relaxing afternoon with my feet up and a light run along the lakefront.

All good.

That evening Leigh and Paul arrived from Christchurch and overnight I knew dad was making the long drive up the country from Rangiora to be on the sidelines for me race day.  My support crew on the ground would be complete the next morning with a quick drive to Rotorua to collect Coach Dave from the airport. 

Thursday ended up being a little more "hectic" than I had wanted, but that was OK. Back from Rotorua with Dave and it was straight to registration, followed by a couple of talks that I decided to sit in on. 

The first one was an aero seminar presented by Specialized and mainly talking about their purpose-built wind tunnel, the first of its kind and opened just last year. It was fascinating stuff and interesting to hear the most aggressive positions aren't necessarily the most aero.  It's all about presenting the smallest frontal area as possible.  For instance if you are dropped down in an aggressively aero position your head will likely pop up above your shoulders so you can see ahead and that increases your frontal area.  The second takeaway was specifically for the guys and was all about the perennial question of leg shaving. With the wind tunnel they have been able to confirm that shaving your legs is more aero and can save almost 6 minutes off an ironman distance bike leg.  If there were any guys in the audience planning to have unshaven legs on Saturday I think they were headed to the supermarket for the razors after that news!

After that seminar I joined Leigh and Paul for the first timers' seminar and then a relaxing late lunch with Dave before heading back to the apartment and taking Black Beauty for a very quick spin. Dad called in for a quick catch up and a Skype chat with mum who was holding the fort back in Rangiora and, before I knew it, it was time to head to the welcome dinner. An afternoon lie down hadn't eventuated but, never mind, I would make up for it on Friday.


Paul and I registered
Friday dawned calm and sunny again and after a quick Skype with St Pete in the morning all I had to do was pack the transition bags and check them in as well as the bike.  Things were set for a great day and I was chilled out and relaxed.  That evening dad, Dave, Leigh and Paul all converged in my unit for our pre-race dinner.  It was a pretty relaxed bunch and hopefully we were all managing to help allay Paul's nerves a little.

He was about to have the adventure of his life and I was so happy to be sharing the day with him, and excited about ticking off Ironman #6.  All going to plan, on Saturday night I would be halfway to a legacy lottery slot for Kona...

Let's do this!


No comments:

Post a Comment