Sunday, March 10, 2013

I Would Like to Thank the Academy ...

A week down and recovery is almost over - it's almost time to start looking towards Cairns and my second Ironman of the year.  But before I move on from last weekend's efforts, it's time to put down some thanks and recollections on all the people that were with me, either in person or in spirit, on the day.  So here is my own list of Academy Awards ... each and every one of you are winners in my book.  :)

St Pete:
My co-star and all round good guy, Pete is the reason I can live my passion for this mad sport.  He cooks for me, cleans the house, stays quiet when I need an afternoon nap, and carries all my gear when we troop down to Kurnell for monster training weekends.  Then come race day he's on the sidelines all day, from the time the cannon goes off until I cross that finish line, cheering me on and making sure that any other twits mad enough to come and cheer for me aren't slacking off in a coffee shop or bar midway through the race.

Every irongirl needs one and, sorry girls, he's NOT FOR SALE!  :)

While my ironman effort on the day is a solo effort, getting to the start line isn't and Pete completes the other half of this team like no one else.

And the Oscar goes to ....

Coach Dave:
No team can function without a coach and D is an all-star.  We've been together since the beginning of my ironman journey and it's been a fantastic partnership that's also developed into a valuable friendship.  He understands the limitations that life can put on an age-grouper and is all about getting the best out everyone, loving life and living the dream, whether that's a 14 hour finish or a Kona qualification.

I loved our "night before" dinner where my guys (Pete, Dave, Dad) brought back dinner - rotisserie chicken and salad - and D concocted a special pre-race dessert for me: banana, Zilch vanilla bean ice cream and apple crumble yoghurt.  It was his favourite combination of fruit, fats and sugar, and it was yum!  We had a great evening with lots of laughter shared and the next morning D ensured I hit the start line happy and relaxed.



Dad:  
My 71 year old dad, and "The Shot" coffee maestro, jumped in his Coffee Shot van and drove from Rangiora to Taupo so that he could cheer me on - and provide coffees on demand!

It was fantastic to see him and after a disappointing year last year, where mum and dad only got to experience a half distance race, it was wonderful to give him a "real" ironman spectating experience this time around.

Even more memorable was him turning up with magnetised/ removable custom-designed signs on both sides of the van shouting out "Supporting Irongirl101" which he then left with us to use for my future races.  Dad did an amazing job keeping up with St Pete and Coach Dave all day and it sounds like the "boys' day out" was a blast.

He then proceeded to give me kittens when I heard that he had left super-early on Sunday morning for the trip back to Rangiora, getting home early evening, in time for his regular coffee round on Monday morning.  Legend, or is that madness?  Whichever it was I was so glad you made it home safely!




Ironjack:  
Jacky is the most amazing supporter and friend that I found while building up to Ironman #1 in 2011.  We shared that journey together via Facebook, and we both crossed the Ironman finish line for the first time that year in torrential rain.

Since then Ironjack has been out of this world busy developing her own business that keeps her away from focused IM training but doesn't stop her from cheering everyone else on as they continue towards their goals.

Jacky provided me (and many supporters) free entertainment on Saturday by "running to her car", which appeared to be in a similar direction that I was heading on the run leg and then, 10 seconds later, tripping over a road cone.  Needless to say I didn't stop.

Looking forward to toeing the Ironman line with you again, Jacks, in 2015?!


Melz:
Mel, triathlon event organiser-extraordinaire, was running a triathlon in Rotorua the morning of ironman and then jumped in the car and drove to Taupo in time to cheer me on during the run course.  After I finished Melz greeted me with a big hug and the loving words that she now hated me ... because I beat her ironman PB.  Oops :)

She was the inspiration behind the silver ferns on Black Beauty and sent me the ferns that went on my helmet and bike box with the reminder that she's "keeping me Kiwi".   In another Kiwi moment, Mel was also responsible for leaving a packet of Choco-ades at our apartment door the morning after - yum!  

Proud to be Kiwi, Melz, and so looking forward to having you in Cairns this year,  as well as on the start line in Taupo with me in 2014, so we can do some damage to our PBs!


Me and my IronBabes: Melz and Jacky

Leonie:
Introduced via Ironjack, Leonie did Ironman Cairns last year and this year was on the sidelines in Taupo cheering me on while I battled my way through the run.

A fount of knowledge, Leonie was the unlikely star when I figured I had nothing to lose by asking if she happened to have any bright ideas for relieving a stitch (I had already tried massaging it out while running, to no avail).  Stopping to bend over and kiss my knees was something I never dreamed I'd be doing on an ironman run but, there you go, it worked and so I'm definitely not complaining!

Lesson to be learnt - always ask, even if you don't expect a sensible answer.  You may just get a gem - thanks Leonie!!!


Supporting Cast: 
Mum, Mel B, Jacqui, Joe, Ra, Budgie, Fran, Mike, Elizabeth, Cate, Annie, Sandy, Kaye, Leigh, Lisa, Sandra, Justine, Rosie, Andi, Ang.

What a team.

You couldn't be with us on the day but thanks to the power of Facebook St Pete kept you all up to date and your messages of support got through to me loud and clear.  Love your work guys, and let's do it all again soon!



The people of Taupo: 
Whether they were volunteering or cheering along the sides the Taupo community were fantastic and are the reason Taupo is such a great place to come back to year after year. 

Even the small touches were noticed and appreciated, such as the pharmacy staff that happily used their body oil samples to remove my number tattoo the day after because they had sold out of baby oil. 

The parties that lined the run course were also a highlight - I was suffering too much on the run to acknowledge everyone but the support that was there for us made a huge difference, not only to our progress toward the finish line, but to our enjoyment as well. 

On Sunday the sign below went up on the main street, and it really says it all.  Taupo, take a bow.  You rock, and we look forward to coming back next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment