Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cole Classic - I'll be an Ocean Swimmer Yet

The morning after I almost killed myself breaking 40 minutes on the Sun Run, Pete and I were on the ferry and heading back to Manly so I could take part in the Cole Classic.

This event is apparently Australia's largest ocean swim and there are a few different options for people.  A 1km, 2km and then the Cole Classic Dee Why to Manly - a 9km event for the ocean swimming long distance elite.

I was content to knock off the 2km event and this was apparently the second best idea I had ever had in Coach Dave's eyes (behind the Sun Run!).  I'd practice some more pack swimming and sighting, all while trying to avoid being shark bait!

Sunday morning of the event arrived fine and sunny in Milson's Point.  My wave start wasn't going until 12.40pm so it was a leisurely start to the day and a rare sleep in.  A quick check of the website pointed out that the weather at Manly was somewhat different.  While fine and sunny, it was apparently windy enough that there was a huge swell at Manly Beach.  This meant that the original course, from Shelly Beach to Manly, had to be changed and the course would instead start and finish at Shelly Beach.

Not a problem.  I can do this.  I'm an ironman.  Yeah right.

Manly Beach - closed for swimming (unless you're in the Cole Classic!)
After a relaxing ferry trip to Manly, we walked over to the other side and got our first glimpse of the ocean.  Sure enough the waves were enough to keep anyone but the most insane surfer out of the water.  However far, far, in the distance, past the break, I saw a buoy.

Oh man, don't say we have to swim out past that sucker.

No point worrying about it now, though, we walked around to Shelly Beach.  Normally this is a really lovely stroll along a footpath following the shore south from Manly for about 1.3km to a little sheltered bay with a marine reserve and park setting that is perfect for a day in the sun with a picnic and a good book.

This morning, however, the path was heaving with people.  People heading in our direction towards Shelly Beach.  People heading in the opposite direction back to Manly, some with medals around their necks, having finished their swims for the day.  The 1km event was just finishing when we got there and there were so many people there it was almost standing room only on the reserve.

I still had a couple of hours to go before my wave, however, so we found a shady square centimetre of grass under a tree and proceeded to chill out and watch the goings on.

By midday it was time to start thinking about getting organised and so I headed down to the water to go for a short swim and get acclimatised.  Wetsuits weren't allowed so it was a case of checking out how cold the water was and cooling my body temperature down to match.

Far out, that's cold...
And it was cold.

So much for middle of summer, sub tropical climes and all that stuff.

I stood waist deep (as per photo) pretending to be scouting out the course but what I was actually doing is waiting for the time when it didn't feel like I was standing in a bucketful of ice.

Thankfully it only lasted about 5 minutes (felt like 15) and then before I knew it, it was time to head to the start with my wave.

Leading up to this the old swim demons started making themselves known.  I started worrying about the choppiness of the water, so much so that St Pete even told me it was OK not to do it and we could just go home.

What did I have to prove?  After all, my focus was Ironman New Zealand, in the calm of Lake Taupo and accompanied by a wetsuit.  If the Cole Classic was just going to make me miserable then what was the point?

The thought of going home, however, appealed less than giving it a go and so after a bit of mental self talk I found myself at the start line and as ready as I could be to get out there, with around 50 other ladies in my wave.

The course was a bit of a rectangle, first of all heading straight out from Shelly Beach and then heading right and swimming parallel to Manly Beach for about 600m, and out to that buoy we had seen when we first arrived at Manly Beach.  We would then turn right again and head towards New Zealand for about 300m before turning right again and heading parallel to Manly Beach towards Shelly Beach.  Finally there was a left hand turn to head straight into Shelley Beach and the finish line.

Heading out to the first buoy, and after the last buoy, was quite calm.  We were still within the shelter of Shelly Beach and so these sections weren't too bad.  The main sections, however, running parallel to Manly Beach were a different story.  There was a swell of 2-3m and so I had the whole experience of arms being whacked by waves, arms coming down and finding air instead of water, and waves coming down when I'm trying to breathe - what an inconvenience!

Another new experience was the placement of the buoys (or cans, as they are known in open water swimming).  In Ironman we have buoys along the course, probably every 100m or so, so you never really have any problems figuring out where to go.  In this course there were 4 cans.

Total.

One at each turn.

So on the two long legs, there was about 600m between each turn and, with the swell, you would be lucky to see it.  Which made sighting off the land absolutely critical.  Great practice!

Anyway, almost an hour after I started, I finally found myself heading back into shore and absolutely stoked to have completed it without freaking out or breast stroking for half an hour wondering if I'd ever get to the end.  I even managed a semi-run up the beach to the finish line and think my expression at the end said it all really...

Yep, makes Lake Taupo (and even Lake Wanaka) look like a stroll in the park.  Just call me ocean girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment