Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ironman New Zealand 2011 - The Aftermath

 In the days immediately afterwards I ached. The first night I ached so much I couldn't face standing up long enough to have a shower.  I slept really badly since every movement in bed hurt and woke me up. After a couple of days the aching stopped and I started feeling much better but then simply found that I got tired really easily.

But even though I ached afterwards, and everything was hurting, it was a good ache and the hurt was good too.  Because it meant I was an ironman.  I had set a goal and, with the support of St Pete and friends and family around me, had achieved it with a smile on my face.





Even though I ached and hurt the next day, it was good to know I wasn't alone.  On Sunday it was very easy to tell the ironman athletes around Taupo - they were the ones walking very slowly around town!  We headed to DeBrett's Thermal Pools and had a soak, which was wonderful and, again, found it easy to spot fellow ironman athletes, either by their tentative steps or their grey IM athlete bracelet that was still on their wrist (as it was on mine!).

On Sunday night we had a great evening celebrating our achievements at the prizegiving dinner.  It was wonderful to celebrate with Jacky and Curly, and commiserate with Charmayne.  Jacky had been worried that she wouldn't make the midnight cutoff but showed her real spirit by getting in with 14 minutes to spare.  Curly, who had been training under Dave as well, had a great day and was really happy with his 12 hrs 32 min finish.  Meanwhile Charmayne, my friend from Auckland, found the weather hard going and pulled out halfway through the bike leg.  (Down but not out, she has unfinished business and will be back in 2012 - fantastic!)

One of the highlights of the evening was getting to meet some of the pro athletes.  Cameron Brown had won his 10th IMNZ title, keeping Terenzo Bozzone at bay for another year. Sam Warriner had inspired everyone with her gutsy win over world champ Mirinda Carfrae and defending NZ champion Jo Lawn after the latter two got punctures.  Even more impressive was the fact that it was Sam's first attempt at the ironman distance and it was her first competition after undergoing surgery 14 weeks prior to remedy a heart problem.

We all got a chance to say hello to the four NZ pros thanks to the Christchurch earthquake.  During the presentations the Christchurch athletes were all called onto the stage and a slideshow was shown of the devastation in Christchurch.  For a couple of the guys standing up on stage with me it was the first time they had seen some of the photos and it was obviously tough for them to watch it.  It was a nice touch, though, to have that acknowledgement.  In addition IMNZ announced the start of a trust fund for Christchurch athletes training for ironman and then Cameron, Terenzo, Sam and Jo were brought onto stage with us - probably the only time we'll share the stage with them!  They were given a  bucket each and sent out around the room to do a collection for Christchurch.

It was a very slow trip around the room for them all as we all took the opportunity to have photos taken and get autographs in exchange for a donation into the bucket.

Terenzo Bozzone and me.
All in all, a great way to finish the weekend.

Since getting back from Taupo, the past three weeks has been all about recovery and reflection.  Training has been almost non-existant which has been an odd experience.  After 11 months of training, on average, 6 days per week it does feel odd to just switch off.  On the upside, however, it has been good to give some time back to Pete - he so deserves it!  I have also recognised that it is key to completely refresh mentally and physically before I get back into it again for next year.

So while part of me feels a little guilty for being quite slothful, the other part knows that I need to take the time out.

I've also been able to share the story with friends and family, and that's been fun.  So many people have been inspired by my achievement and a lot of my motivation had to do with showing how the ordinary can achieve the extraordinary.

When I look back on it, my most enduring memory (besides the joy of running down the finish chute!) will be the weather, and the conditions that were endured by Pete, Dave, the volunteers and all the other spectators on the day.  While we competitors were at least swimming/biking/running and therefore in a position to be able to stay warm, those around us were out there all day in the rain and they were unfaltering in their enthusiasm and encouragement for us all.  It was truly humbling and the most incredible atmosphere to experience.

Pete was, as always, my hero.  Not only has he taken care of the household and me these past 11 months, he willingly put my training schedule ahead of our social calendar and then, on the day, stood out in the rain for over 15 hours while I made my dreams come true.  No one deserves the title of Saint like he does.

Coach Dave has been a great coach, mentor and friend, and I will always thank Andi for putting me onto him and convincing me that I should probably get a coach for this ironman lark.  Dave saw the hidden potential in me and remained positive and enthusiastic even when I was doubting my own abilities.

Last, but definitely not least, the volunteers were absolute heroes on the day.  In the transition areas they welcomed us like stars, it was one big party in there.  Out on the bike they held out drinks and food, offered us encouragement and applied bands to our arms with the precision of a medieval jouster.  On the run they stood out on the stations until the last runner went past, offering food and drink and, when the call was made by the medical director, kindly but firmly made sure we were all wearing our plastic ponchos.  I know we didn't like it at the time but we know it was for our own good!

At the prizegiving dinner we were shown the tribute to the volunteers and I include it here - it is such an inspiration:


All in all it was a great day out. Yes, it was the hardest thing I've ever done, but at no time did I consider quitting and at no time did I question my sanity for doing this.  Even during the second lap of the run, when I was doing more walking than running, I was still thinking "this is a great way to spend the day".

I've been well and truly bitten by the ironman bug.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment